December 2015 Life Update

We are officially over halfway through December and just days away from Christmas. I decided it was time to do another Jolley family update.



Colten is officially one year from graduating with his Bachelor's in Accounting which is so exciting. He has been full time work + full time school almost our entire marriage and has done it like a champ. After we'd live in our house 10 months I finally asked, "Where do we keep the dog food?" Our dogs would've starved if it weren't for him. He is truly the sunshine of my life. 

As for me when it comes to education... apparently I don't know what I want to do with my life. It's been over a year since I graduated with my cosmetology license, I finished my general studies Associate's in May, and now I'm going back for a degree in Graphic Arts! 

I do have student loans from cosmetology schools and I didn't want anymore loans for a degree that I'm not going to use. The great thing about working for an online school is... free tuition! (Also how Colten is paying for his degree which is SUCH a blessing) After almost a year with the company, I've decided to take advantage of the free education and learn a new skill. I've always wished I knew more about graphic arts. I wish I could design cute invitations, create gorgeous blog graphics, open an Etsy shop, ya know, the typical stuff. I've felt such a pull toward education lately, and this feels right. 

Colten and I both have demanding callings in our church congregation that we often feel like we are failing miserably at. He is Elders Quorum President and I'm First Counselor in the Young Women's Presidency along with a ward organist. I'll be honest and say that even though Young Women's is my dream calling, it can be a struggle. I am having a really hard time figuring out how to balance it all. I'm sure going back to school full time while working full time will make that easier right? (can you sense the sarcasm?) 

Christmas will be with my family this year. We are seeing the new Star Wars on Christmas Eve with my family and I am so excited. My sweet younger brother took me to the Forgotten Carols earlier this month, he is seriously so thoughtful and I would absolutely consider him my best friend. We shared a huge cotton candy, each got a soda and truly felt the Christmas spirit. 

This month we also started a new tradition. The annual Jolley Christmas Kick Off! It will be held every year on the first Sunday of December. We had nachos, Christmas treats, and watched the LDS First Presidency Christmas Devotional. We had friends and family over and it was perfect. A great reminder of the true meaning of Christmas- Christ + Family. 

Next week Colten and I took the entire week off! We get the 24th + 25th off PTO and we decided to use some of our accrued vacation time to take the 21st-23rd off as well. I am so excited to have that time off to spend with my husband and puppies and catch up on housework. 

I think that just about covers it. I'm looking forward to 2016 with much hope. I get a thrill out of new beginnings, and 2016 is going to be a GREAT year. 


 photo signature_zps58d2tge3.png

2 comments:

Tayler Morrell said...

I love why you are going back to school. Recently, I found a new free site that I like a LOT better than Picmonkey, and it has really helped me in the graphics department. It's befunky.com

Ashley Ziegler said...

Good for you for following your dreams :) I remember being in young women's, I was only the secretary but at times, felt like the president. It was overwhelming and I felt like I was failing miserably because I loved young women's so much when I was a youth. Prayers that it starts to feel a little bit easier!