Why I'm Not Christmas Shopping on Thanksgiving

The other day I came across Target's Black Friday ad. And my heart sunk. "Doors open at 6 PM on Thanksgiving." And then just an hour later I saw Walmart was opening at the same time. 

When I was younger it was different. We'd have a delicious meal, spend precious time with family, and laugh at all the crazy things we've done. Then the party would be over. My mom would clean and then go to bed. Just 3-4 hours later in the middle of the night she would wake up, don a sweater that matched all my aunts & grandma and brave the cold chill to wait outside their store of choice. They always had a game plan. Who would get the princess dolls, who would get the rollerblades, etc. And they'd have a fun girls day Christmas shopping for their family whom they loved so dearly. 


It's not like that anymore. If you want to take advantage of Black Friday deals you have to interrupt your Thanksgiving meal. At 6 PM! And heaven forbid you want to wait outside the store for a few hours, you might as well not attend Thanksgiving dinner at all because you'll have to leave before it even starts.

Why am I not shopping on Thanksgiving? I'm not shopping on Thanksgiving because I'd rather have more time with family on Thanksgiving than more presents under the tree on Christmas morning. There's not a good deal out there that would be worth missing that precious time. Not even if they were giving out free ipads just for standing in line, which I've yet to see advertised.

Besides missing that time with family because of "good deals", what about all the employees? The ones who have to provide for their families and don't get Thanksgiving off because there are too many people shopping! The people like Amberly's Husband, you can read about Black Friday at their house HERE.

I've read a quote somewhere that said, "People are meant to be loved, and things are meant to be used. The reason this world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used." Things are being LOVED. Is it bad to want to give your children a really great Christmas morning? To wait in the freezing cold for 5 hours for a half off Elsa doll? No! Not one single bit! 

But Thanksgiving is meant for family. It's meant for eating, and gratitude, football, and resting. Not for shopping for good deals.

If you're looking for me on Thanksgiving I'll be rubbing my satisfied tummy, cuddling my husband and getting excited for the holidays. And then you'll also find me doing some Small Business shopping on Etsy, and some Amazon Prime shopping on Cyber Monday.




 photo jolley-sig_zps8e3a9f4d.jpg

4 comments:

Allison said...

I totally agree! My boyfriend works at JCP and not to be outdone by Walmart and Target, they are opening at 5 PM ON THANKSGIVING! He's not sure if he has to work that early yet, but I agree that it's not fair. Are you really going to make that much more when you have to pay these poor employees time and a half?! It's absurd. I mean I love Christmas shopping as much as anyone, but not at the expense of another holiday.

Tayler Morrell said...

I love this and totally agree!!

Amanda said...

Absolutely agree! The fun is gone from Black Friday, and I would never give up my Thanksgiving to go buy a cheap xbox. It's gotten ridiculous.

Unknown said...

I agree girl!!! Thanksgiving is about family and having time with that family. I feel so sorry for those works that can't have thanksgiving with family because crazy people think they have to shop! No thank you! I value my family time more! Thanks for writing about it! :)