Taylor Swift 1989 Review

I finally caved and bought the new Taylor Swift album. Red was my favorite album of hers and I have always bought the full CD's of her music. I was wary of this CD because I prefer her country pop stuff to pure pop or pure country, but I finally caved because everyone was saying how amazing it is. 

I didn't get the CD from Target so I don't have the 3 additional songs but here's my review of each song off her new album plus my favorite lyrics from each one. 





Welcome to New York

This one might need to grow on me, or maybe it's just that I don't have any really big emotional connection to New York! I'm sure I'll get to like it more, but for now I'll just skip it til I get bored with the other tracks.


"Like any great love it keeps you guessing

Like any real love it’s ever changing
Like any true love it drives you crazy
But you know you wouldn’t change anything, anything, anything"


Blank Space

I jammed out to this for like 45 minutes straight this morning. It's so catchy and will most definitely get stuck in your head, it's perfect for singing really loud in your car and dancing. Not that I know from personal experience or anything ;) This is probably my current favorite followed by "Wildest Dreams". And who doesn't love how she says this line...

"Cause you know I love the players, and you love the game!"


Style


I was surprised how much I loved this song. It's kind of a haunting sound and I think it's so pretty. It's upbeat and great to listen to while you get ready, believe me, I did just that!

"Fade into view, it's been a while since I have even heard from you,
I should just tell you to leave cause I know exactly where it leads,
but I Watch us go round and round each time"


Out of the Woods


I didn't download this one when it was a single. I didn't really like it. But surprisingly it's actually grown on me and I really like it now! I listened to it a ton yesterday. And I liked watching a few live performances of it on YouTube. I'm a sucker for a good bridge. Always have been, always will be.

"Remember when we couldn't take the heat 
I walked out, I said, I'm setting you free
But the monsters turned out to be just trees
When the sun came up you were looking at me"



All You Had to Do Was Stay

A little repetitive and the "stay!" is borderline annoying to me, but the rest of the lyrics are phenomenal so it's a good song regardless. After listening to it a few more times I'm here to tell you it's pretty dang good music. 

"People like you always want back the love they gave away,
And people like me wanna believe you when you say you've changed."


Shake It Off

If you haven't heard this song you probably live under a rock, or in an Amish community or somewhere where they don't allow music. I loved this song from the first time I heard it. I love the lyrics. They are so uplifting and make you want to dance!

I can't even pick favorite lyrics on this song, it's just a good one all around. 


I Wish You Would

This song is so pretty and I love putting this one on repeat. I think the lyrics are something we can all relate to. It sounds very Taylor Swifty, but in a good way. 

"I wish we could back and remember what we were fighting for,
I wish you knew that I miss you too much to be mad anymore."


Bad Blood

Despite the rumors around this song and Katy Perry, I think we can all relate to this song. Haven't we all been betrayed before? It's such a fun one too. Love playing this one really loud and working out to. 

"Band aids don't fix bullet holes, 
you say sorry just for show."


Wildest Dreams

Wow, is this whole CD hauntingly beautiful right? I am obsessed with song. I love the concept and the execution of it. Definitely one of my favorites. It's very Landa Del Rey "Young & Beautiful"eque. Again, the bridge is phenomenal. And it's a tie between this one and Blank Spaces for my favorite!

"You see me in hindsight, tangled up with you all night,
Burning it down, someday when you leave me,
I bet these memories follow you around."


How You Get the Girl

This isn't necessarily a favorite but I do like it. It's very tween love worthy, and who am I kidding, I love everything tweens love. It's a cute concept, how you lose and how you get the girl. 

"Stand there like a ghost, shaking from the rain,
She'll open up the door and say Are you insane?"


This Love

This song reminds me of Treacherous from "Red." It will probably end up being one of my favorites like Treacherous but right now it's just so so for me. Make me want to take a nap though! Very peaceful.

"Your kiss, my cheek, I watched you leave
Your smile, my ghost, I fell to my knees
When you're young you just run
But you come back to what you need"



I Know Places

T-Swift falls back on her previous song "Ours" with wanting to forget about what others say about her relationship. However this time instead of just ignoring the naysayers, she wants to hide from them. I do love the lyrics on this one. It might need to grow on me a little more as it's one I tend to skip right now.

"They take their shots, we're bulletproof,
I know places, And you know for me it's always you,
And you're dead at night, your eyes so green,
I know places, And I know for you it's always me."


Clean

A beautiful tune and beautiful lyrics. Talking about becoming clean from a past relationship. I know I can relate to that day when you finally feel like you might actually be over someone that took up such a big part of your life. And you're finally clean from it all.

"Rain came pouring down when I was drowning,
That's when I could finally breathe,
And that morning, gone was any trace of you,
I think I am finally clean"

 

 photo jolley-sig_zps8e3a9f4d.jpg

2 comments:

Ashley Ziegler said...

I need to do a post like this!

Anjali said...

I love love love this new album!
I've been listening to it on repeat all week! Haha! :)

Wildest Dreams is so good, right!? :D