3 (Easy) Ways to be a Better Visiting Teacher Today

Ever since I was called to my new relief society calling, I've spent a lot of time thinking about visiting teaching. I think we complicate it. We make it WAY harder than it needs to be. We stress ourselves out about visits, handouts, treats, and looking perfect when we go. Please tell me I'm not alone in this. 

Leaving my singles ward for what I call "real world visiting teaching" was a big change for me. All of the sudden my companion and visiting teachees were WOMEN of all ages. Not just 18-25 year old single college students. 

So here's how we can simplify our visiting teaching practice, and be better visiting teachers today!


1. Send a text or email with a positive thought.

We are surrounded with chaos, fear, anger, competition and so much else that can darken our lives, How would it be to open your email and have a thought from this past general conference with a quick, "Just thinking of you! Is there anything I can do for you right now?" I know I'd appreciate it.

2. Pray for them.

It's as simple as asking Heavenly Father to bless your sisters, and to lead you by His spirit to know how to fill their needs.

3. Mail a note.

There's something about good old fashioned mail. Write a thank you for your most recent visit. Thank her for letting you get to know her and remind her of your love and of her Heavenly Father's love for her. 

Visiting teaching is about loving and serving in the ways the Savior would. It's not about showy handouts, or anything else, it's about ministering to those whom Heavenly Father has trusted with you.
 photo jolley-sig_zps8e3a9f4d.jpg

3 comments:

Tayler Morrell said...

These are great ways! I definitely like the idea of a random text!

Ashley Ziegler said...

I agree. I think many of us want to be the "perfect" visiting teacher when really, the most important thing we can do is simply reach out. Thanks for sharing this!

Amberly said...

I love these ideas! I haven't had the greatest experience with the VT program, so I have a really hard time being excited to participate in it, especially since I feel too busy sometimes to give it the effort that I feel it needs. But these are some really good, meaningful ideas that don't take a lot of extra time and probably mean a lot to the sisters who are on the receiving end!