Communication: Writing Love Letters

Thanks to Ashley for writing this AMAZING post while I am celebrating my one year anniversary! Be sure to go over and say hi at her blog From A to Z.


I'm not professional when it comes to communication, but there is one type of communication I feel that I excel in and that's handwritten letters. If you don't know my story, then I will give you a bit of a background.

My husband served a 2 year LDS mission and we wrote each other back and forth the entire time. I cannot tell you how many times I ran to that darn mail box every Friday evening awaiting the sight of the blue sticker on every envelope I received from him. My heart always fluttered and would melt at the sigh of his handwriting. I knew my sweetheart loved me and he wanted me to know that with each letter.

Now that we're married, I miss those letters more than anything in this world. They mean so much to me and I have them in a special place. Each one is organized by date and I love looking back and reading what we told each other and what points in our life. It really is a cool thing to be able to go back and reflect on that part of our relationship.

So today, I'm going to share some ways you can write more letters to your loved one. Not typed, written. There is just something about a handwritten love letter that makes the heart jump and the smile stretch from ear to ear.



Consider how long of a letter to write. Is this going to be something you drag out into multiple letters or is this something that you're going to shove in one letter and then move on? You could do either. You could write short letters and break them up and spread out when you give them to your loved one. Or you could write one really long letter and give it to your spouse and do this every now and then. The choice is yours, but either way, they will love it!

How can I make it interesting and fun? Write about yourself, tell some silly jokes. Draw pictures on the letter and/or the envelope. Put confetti inside or put your letter with a gift. Do some letter writing for a scavenger hunt or spray it with your perfume. Fold your letter up into a fun box like we did in junior high! Write a bucket list of things you'd like to do with him. Or you can simply spill your love for him on paper. You can always look on Pinterest for some ways to make it fun and interesting.

Start writing. Don't over think it and worry about what they'll think. Just start writing and it will come to you. Be creative and your personality will show through the letter and it will all work out just fine. It is important to remember to just be yourself and to let your loved one know you love them even if you simply just say "I love you" and that's it. Expressing your love for your spouse will mean a lot to them whether it's one 20 sticky notes on the bathroom mirror, or on a napkin in their lunch box. Whatever it is you want to say, just say it.


What is your favorite way to write a love letter to your loved one?

No comments: