I've found a new obsession. Yoga. I try to do a little bit every day, but I schedule at least two days a week to practice yoga for at least a full 30 minutes. I love the way yoga makes me feel, but maybe me telling you that isn't enough, so here's 5 reasons to try yoga.
1. You Can Do It At home!I love me a good yoga class at a facility, but at around $10+ a class around here, it's hard for me to justify the money. I recently purchased The Yoga Deck from Barnes and Noble and have loved pulling a few random cards and getting some quick yoga when I have a few minutes. You can also search for "yoga" on YouTube and find hundreds of free videos!
2. Lowers the Risk of Injury
Constant strenuous exercise is hard on your body. Yoga can help rebalance your body as well as create more flexibility which is key to preventing future injuries. It keeps your muscles in balance and helps improve posture.
3. It Can Help You Lose Weight
If you don't know much about hormones, that's okay, but google Cortisol, and say hello to the little guy that makes you carry extra weight due to stress. Stress! Isn't it annoying that just being overwhelmed can cause you to have a larger midsection? Yoga is proven to reduce stress levels, especially if you are doing a form of yoga that involved meditation. Reduced stress levels mean less Cortisol which means less muffin top. #winning
4. It is Simple Cross-Training
I picture crazy sweaty lunks doing cross fit, but yoga is like cross fit for dummies! You get flexibility, strength and stamina all at once when you practice yoga. It's an easy way to work lots of different muscles at the same time.
5. Improves Mood and Boosts Confidence
Yoga has been shown to significantly help those who have anxiety or depression, even severe depression. Yoga can quiet mind-chatter and and help you feel more relaxed. Yoga also helps send more oxygen to the brain which leaves you happier and more content with where you are.
So tell me, are a you a practicing yogi?