love story part fifteen: the proposal

It was just another night in my eyes. I was driving from Logan to Roy, he was driving from Salt Lake to Roy. My family, Mr. Jolley and I all met at my old high school for my little brother's band concert. I sat next to him holding hands while we listened to my little bro play. I rode home to my parent's with him.

We all got inside and started chatting and what not. Since he had come from work he asked if it was okay if he got his comfy clothes from his car to change into. I told him of course and meanwhile my sister says she has a YouTube video to show me.

She pulls up a video of fake proposals. I'm STILL clueless. Why? Because I'd given him a few dates that he absolutely under no circumstances could propose to me on. My mom's birthday, my brother's birthday, and my sister's graduation day. It was my mother's birthday, and I trusted him that much. Silly me.

After around 30 seconds of a completely useless YouTube video, I feel Mr. Jolley's presence near me. I turn my computer chair I'm sitting in to face him and realize he's holding 2 dozen roses.

wedding proposal wedding ring engagement ring proposing marriage love husband wife brooklyn jolley a little too jolley

He hands me the roses and I stand up. He gets down on one knee and proceeds to give the sweetest speech I'll never remember. I was shaking, he was shaking harder. I couldn't believe this was happening. All of my family was grinning from ear to ear. He spoke of how grateful he was to have met me, and how he knows God brought us together. He said he'd had the most wonderful time getting to know me, and he wanted to spend the rest of his life getting to know me even more. He opened the ring box. I barely noticed the ring.

"Brooklyn Burton... Will you marry me?"

"Yes... Of course!" 

wedding proposal wedding ring engagement ring proposing marriage love husband wife brooklyn jolley a little too jolley


I was surprised I didn't cry. We kissed. We hugged and held each other tight. We laughed. I showed the ring to all my family. It truly was heaven on earth to realize I got to spend forever with him, I would never have to leave him and he would never have to leave me.

While talking later that night he asked if I knew why he proposed like he did. I told him not really, besides that I'd asked him to keep it low key and I knew my family wanted to be there. Mr. Jolley told me his dream was to propose to his wife in the same way that his wife's dad proposed to her mother. And that's exactly what he did, low-key, in her home. It was a perfect evening.

We went to a nearby park and laid a blanket out, looking at the stars and talking about our future. I forgave him for proposing on my mom's birthday of course. ;) And I walked on cloud nine for the rest of the night. I was officially going to be Mrs. Brooklyn Jolley. For time & all eternity. 



post signature

8 comments:

Manca* said...

Oh sooo nice! :)

Amberly said...

For some reason I don't think I'd ever heard this whole story before!! :) I love it!!!

Kat @ Kat Katastrophe said...

This is so adorable!

McKenzie said...

ok, seriously swooning over here. SO darn cute and perfect!! gahh!
i love your love story!

Charlene Maugeri said...

That is so cool that he wanted to propose like your dad did! Too sweet!

Hayley! said...

This is BEYOND sweet! I love reading proposals! I'm such a sucker for romance! And that ring!! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary @ Eat Drink and Be Mary said...

This is so stinking cute!