tips for keeping your new year's resolutions.

The stores are full of exercise equipment.
People are up earlier.
More salads are eaten & less soda drank.
More prayers are being sent to heaven.
Less TV is being watched.
More time is being sent with loved ones.
People everywhere are starting over.
But what happens after the initial adrenaline of 2014? How can you keep the spirit of resolution making alive in you every day? 


1. Find someone to hold you accountable.
I know it is personally way easier for me to go to the gym if I'm going with my husband. It's easier to stop doing something if you know someone is going to ask you about it. Find a good friend. Someone who will encourage you and be a cheerleader. Ask them to hold you accountable.

2. 21 Days to a Habit.
Choose a goal that you can work on EVERY DAY. Sometimes setting goals such as "work out 3 times a week'' or "write in my journal once a month" are hard to keep because they aren't always on the forefront of your mind. Maybe set a goal such as "Do one 10 minute Zumba video before I shower" or "Write one line in my journal ever night about the day." Doing something for 21 days in a row has proved to make it a habit. Choose goals you can work on daily.

3. Reward Yourself.
I know, I know. We aren't dogs. You see it on Pinterest all the time. Do not reward yourself with food. I'm calling bull crap on that one. Giving up something I really love is hard, but sometimes a Chickfila milkshake is the perfect light at the end of the tunnel.

4. Re-evaluate every month & week.
Set monthly goals instead of just long term, MUST do by 2015 goals. It's easier to take life in chunks I promise. I like having a weekly planning night on Sunday's. I pull out my planner, make a gazillion to-do lists and schedule some "me time." I find it really helpful to look every week at where you want to be going.

5. Make your goals fun!
Have a hard time getting to the gym? Promise yourself that it's the only time you will let yourself watch "Keeping Up With the Kardashians." I used to do this for the Bachelor/Bachelorette. I've never looked forward to a Tuesday work out so much. Create a bucketlist for the month, throw some fun things on there such as trying that restaurant you've always wanted to, and buy something with sequins; but also add those pesky goals such as applying for that scholarship, organizing your digital photos, and email your cousin who wants to hear from you. Having a fun list will keep you constantly looking to cross something off, and create more fun in your life ;)

6. Cut yourself some slack & Try Again.
So you didn't quite make it a month without Facebook. Well it's okay, you tried! Now try again! You didn't like going gluten-free? That's okay. Just eat less bread instead. Give yourself opportunities to start over every day. Sometimes I have to remind myself it's okay to start over every hour! Life is hard, and we aren't perfect. We are going to make some mistakes. The most important thing is that we don't give up! 

Believe in yourself and believe in others, because it is going to be an AMAZING year.

post signature

2 comments:

Rachel said...

For me, the most important thing is whether it's something I REALLY want to do, or if it's just something that I think I ought to do. Because if I really want to do it of my own accord, I will. But if it's outside motivation...I know I'm not as likely to want to complete that goal...

Ashley Ziegler said...

I always type up and print my goals and hang them somewhere I know I'll see them every day so that I'm reminded about what I'm working on each day.