my 2013 word of the year

A few years ago when I was reading through blog posts on 71toes.com, I came across a post where the author talked about how every year she picks a "word of the year." Something she wants to really focus on throughout the year. So I've been doing the same thing for the past few years.


This past year I decided that my 2013 Word of the Year would be.... TRUST. I wanted to learn to trust the Lord with my life, to trust that people weren't out to get me, and learn to trust myself that I could make decisions that would benefit my life. 

It's been an amazing ride.
October 2012 when the LDS missionary age for women was lowered to 19, I decided I wanted to go, but after praying about it, I knew I shouldn't. It was really hard to trust that the Lord had other good plans for me.

In March I met my now husband, and 8 weeks later we were engaged. Although I never doubted that decision, it was scary sometimes to be marrying someone I had just met, but I TRUSTED that the Lord knew him. I TRUSTED that the Lord wouldn't leave me alone without friends if I moved 2 hours away from the only friends I'd ever known.

In July, I made the decision to drop out of college to go to beauty school. Against everyone's wishes, I TRUSTED my gut that I needed to take a different path with my life. So I did. And now I'm 1/4 done with Cosmetology at Paul Mitchell and have found something I'm truly passionate about. 

So many times throughout this past year I have been amazed at my ability to TRUST. I think I couldn't have picked a better word for myself. 

Stay tuned, because next week I will be announcing my 2014 word of the year!



post signature

6 comments:

Ashley Ziegler said...

love this idea:) thanks for sharing!

Charlene Maugeri said...

This is a great post and a fantastic idea. I think my word for 2014 will be "trust" (not to completely copy you). It is something I struggle with. I have to make myself trust God. I have a hard time trusting friends. And sometimes it is hard to even trust my husband!

Amberly said...

Ah, I like this a lot!! :)Maybe I should think of a word for my 2014...

Angela said...

I also chose a word for 2013, mine was gratitude.

modelmecody said...

That is amazing. Trust is a great word. I chose write for my word.

Jana said...

I love that! What a great thing to do. It's amazing how when we put our trust in God all of these incredible things fall into place. :) You've inspired me to pick a word for 2014! :)