the power of gratitude in our prayers

Something I have never been that great at is saying personal prayers. I know, I'm airing my dirty laundry again, but it's the truth. Reading the scriptures, going to church, serving others, it all comes pretty easily to me, but taking time to simply pray? The busy body in me really struggles to take that time to unwind and pray. Luckily, my husband and I started a habit of family prayer as soon as we got married, and have hardly missed a day since. But that doesn't fill the place of our personal prayers.

Yesterday in church, the speaker posed a question. "What would happen if we each took just enough time every evening to say a personal prayer that only consisted of expressing gratitude for THREE things? I guarantee you would see the effects of those simple prayers immediately." 


I am a believer in the small and simple. I'd love to start saying incredibly heartfelt 30 minute long personal prayers, but I've tried again and again, and have given up every time I try to create the habit. So what if I created the habit of personal prayer by doing something simple? Don't you think Heavenly Father would be proud of me for that small victory? I know he would be.

My husband is one of the most sincere pray-ers I've ever met. I remember the first few times I heard him pray, I was always blown away by the way he could speak to God with such reverence, yet as if he were speaking to his best friend. Those are the kind of prayers I want to say.

"Thinking of things we are grateful for is a healing balm. It helps us get outside ourselves. It changes our focus from our pains and our trials to the abundance of this beautiful world we live in."
-Joseph B. Wirthlin

I've learned that I can't personally change everything about myself overnight, but I can change small things every day. I'm excited to see the effects of this simple change in my life, and I promise to share my thoughts and feelings with you on here. 

How do you make personal prayer a priority?


post signature

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How crazy- last night during my quiet time I read and wrote a lot about simply sharing gratitude in my prayers. That's what I've been focusing on a lot today... and I've already noticed a huge improvement in my mood!! xo

Anonymous said...

How crazy- last night during my quiet time I read and wrote a lot about simply sharing gratitude in my prayers. That's what I've been focusing on a lot today... and I've already noticed a huge improvement in my mood!! xo

Jan Meszaros said...

thanks you very much for thrashing the nice blog with us. Realize, feel, express and share your gratitude for all major areas of life: Family and Friends, Health, Spirituality, and Work. Appreciate the “small” things in life such as a sound sleep, sunny day, safe commute to work, your favorite song, etc. Challenge and expand your awareness of the great deal of things we receive every day and you will see a different world.